NADP Annual Conference and AGM 2023
21st October 2023
Filling the Gaps
Unfortunately, due to the recently announced train strike to be held on 30th September, the same day as our conference and AGM, we have had to change the date of the conference and AGM to 21st October 2023. We have also had to change some of the presentations previously confirmed, due to availability.
The Conference and AGM will still be held in person at The Wesley, Euston St, London – a short walk from Euston, Kings Cross and St Pancras stations.
The theme of the Conference is “Filling the Gaps” and will look at the different ways that we may fill the gaps as a result of our hearing loss, from subtitles, lip reading tactics and strategies for making the most of hearing devices and how these may be improved going forward.
Presentations will include:-
– an update from the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Deafness and the work they are currently involved in;
– current activity of the Cochlear Implant International Community of Action (CIICA) of which NADP is a founder member;
– an update on the provision of subtitles on TV and how these may be affected by the Digital Economy Act, the Media Bill and Ofcom’s current consultation – “Ensuring the quality of TV and on-demand access services”;
– further details of COACH – a project comparing the provision of Cochlear Implants with Hearing Aids for people who would not normally be eligible for a CI;
– an overview from Andrea Saks ( ITU/G3ict), on Telephone Relay services internationally, how they were implemented and what is needed for the same provision to be available in the UK;
– Mumbli, an organisation which supports businesses to provide inclusive spaces for all hearing abilities and sound preferences;
– the Association of Lip Speakers talking about the services they offer and how they helped ensure that people with hearing loss can participate in Jury service.
We also have Christopher Patnoe, sharing how Google fills the gaps in accessibility and talks about their new Accessibility Discovery Centre in London and how people with hearing loss can engage with them.
Doors will open at 9 am and we will kick off the Conference at 10 am. The AGM will start at 2 pm. The Conference will close at 5 pm.
The AGM papers have already been provided, but we include a copy of the full accounts for 2022 for your perusal. Please let us know if you have any questions you wish to raise at the AGM. Attending the AGM is free, but we would appreciate it if you could let us know in advance if you intend to attend so that we can manage numbers.
Communication support will be provided by STTR to screen and tablet, and a hearing loop. We can also provide Lipspeakers if requested in advance. The tickets are £15 for members and £25 for non-members, which includes lunch and refreshments. We have a limited number of seats which will be available on a ‘first-come, first-served’ basis.
You can pay online at https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/filling-the-gaps-tickets-699016787027?aff=ebdssbdestsearch (See also www.NADP.org.uk) or by cheque to NADP, 27 Old Gloucester Street, London WC1N 3AX
For those interested we will be organising a dinner directly after the conference. Please let us know if you would like to join us for dinner.
We look forward to seeing you at this Event.